GothicRefuge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gothic refuge a place for goths.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Social bookmarking
Social bookmarking reddit      

Bookmark and share the address of GothicRefuge on your social bookmarking website

Bookmark and share the address of GothicRefuge on your social bookmarking website

Eclectic goth

Go down 
+19
KittyKat
Revenant
SPF
Arkhum
Dog Soldier
Ginger_Snaps
PorcelainPirate
Taraiha
Kasmira
darkwave_71
Maxmordon
eyvind
Akasha'sMistake
EvilHippyEmperor
helen damnation
mydarkside
GhostRed
Gomez
semyaza
23 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
semyaza
Master
Master

Number of posts : 45
Registration date : 2008-07-23

Eclectic goth Empty
PostSubject: Eclectic goth   Eclectic goth I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 23, 2008 6:21 am

My roots go way back to the early 1980's. Bauhaus and Christian Death were my first real introductions to what's now known as goth. However, I listen to much more than goth and deathrock. I also love me some metal (I'm picky about the metal I listen to) and old school punk. !960's acid rock is a love of mine as well, since that's really the first music I remember listening to as a kid. Thing with me is that I have a load of different influences, so if something is "dark" and/or introspective, I tend to like it. If I HAD to pin myself down to one particular style of goth, it would be closer to traditional/old school goth and deathrock. I don't like being pinned down though, so I feel more comfortable calling myself eclectic. It allows me some freedom and flexibility.
Back to top Go down
Gomez
Witch
Witch
Gomez

Number of posts : 439

Eclectic goth Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eclectic goth   Eclectic goth I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 23, 2008 1:34 pm

Since we need topics, I'll start out here as I started out on GB.

I'm an Addams.

Does that make me goth? Or does it make me potentially goth?

Are all Addams' goth?

The answer I got there was that being goth isn't necessarily a good or bad thing, it's just what you make of it.

Fair and true, but is it goth to be an Addams?

Chas lived long before music was "goth," but I think the gothing lifestyle owes a huge debt to him nonetheless, and I doubt it would be the same if not for him.

So, if "Addams" is a type of goth, that's what type I am. If not, I'm not sure if I'm goth or not, and if I am a type of goth I'm some sort of Victorian romantigoth. I'm in that odd category of goth that has no punk roots.
Back to top Go down
http://www.collectorteapots.com
GhostRed
Master
Master
GhostRed

Number of posts : 16

Eclectic goth Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eclectic goth   Eclectic goth I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 23, 2008 4:26 pm

I'm going to venture to guess that most of us will be calling ourselves eclectic goths. Very Happy

I have a huge love for old school goth and I wish direly that I could have called the Batcave my second home. Its a terrible shame I was an un/just born American during those days, so now I can only dream!

I think that noting my idols are The Cure, Siouxsie and David Bowie are a good explanation of me. Big hair, lots of makeup and excess, excess, excess!
Back to top Go down
mydarkside
Master
Master
mydarkside

Number of posts : 5

Eclectic goth Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eclectic goth   Eclectic goth I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 23, 2008 6:56 pm

I guess I'm some kind of crossover... STRONG punk roots with a dark side to things that has always been there. I lean toward old school punk and modern hardcore. The earliest "goth" type influences came from The Addams Family sideways humour as a child and Bela Lugosi's Dracula is still my favorite movie of all. Sisters of Mercy, Bauhaus, Depeche Mode - all influences. Having exposed my dark side , I really like the variety of styles that people show and the musical variety as well. I guess I just like things dark and rebellious... Yup - that's me
Back to top Go down
helen damnation
Mod
Mod
helen damnation

Number of posts : 168
Registration date : 2008-07-22

Eclectic goth Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eclectic goth   Eclectic goth I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 23, 2008 11:42 pm

mydarkside wrote:
I guess I'm some kind of crossover... STRONG punk roots with a dark side to things that has always been there. I lean toward old school punk and modern hardcore. The earliest "goth" type influences came from The Addams Family sideways humour as a child and Bela Lugosi's Dracula is still my favorite movie of all. Sisters of Mercy, Bauhaus, Depeche Mode - all influences. Having exposed my dark side , I really like the variety of styles that people show and the musical variety as well. I guess I just like things dark and rebellious... Yup - that's me

That actually sounds an awful lot like me! I don't like being pigeon holed but my first love has to be 80s goth and original punk rock. I also love rockabilly and psychobilly. I suppose we just have different facets and it makes us the individuals that we are
Back to top Go down
helen damnation
Mod
Mod
helen damnation

Eclectic goth Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eclectic goth   Eclectic goth I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 23, 2008 11:43 pm

GhostRed wrote:
I'm going to venture to guess that most of us will be calling ourselves eclectic goths. Very Happy

I have a huge love for old school goth and I wish direly that I could have called the Batcave my second home. Its a terrible shame I was an un/just born American during those days, so now I can only dream!

I think that noting my idols are The Cure, Siouxsie and David Bowie are a good explanation of me. Big hair, lots of makeup and excess, excess, excess!

I would have died with joy to have been able to go to the Batcave! I had "protective" parents! Bah fooey!
Back to top Go down
GhostRed
Master
Master
GhostRed

Eclectic goth Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eclectic goth   Eclectic goth I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 23, 2008 11:50 pm

Bah! That is so terrible! So close, yet so far! Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
helen damnation
Mod
Mod
helen damnation

Eclectic goth Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eclectic goth   Eclectic goth I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 24, 2008 12:02 am

GhostRed wrote:

I blame them for giving me the urge at 39 to go out wearing next to nothing and scarily high heels, You get compensation in life sometimes! Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
EvilHippyEmperor
Mod
Mod
EvilHippyEmperor

Number of posts : 764

Eclectic goth Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eclectic goth   Eclectic goth I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 24, 2008 1:02 am

semyaza wrote:
I don't like being pinned down though...
That's not what we heard!
Laughing
Back to top Go down
EvilHippyEmperor
Mod
Mod
EvilHippyEmperor

Eclectic goth Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eclectic goth   Eclectic goth I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 24, 2008 1:03 am

helen damnation wrote:

I blame them for giving me the urge at 39 to go out wearing next to nothing and scarily high heels
I don't suppose you have pictures?
Wink
Back to top Go down
GhostRed
Master
Master
GhostRed

Eclectic goth Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eclectic goth   Eclectic goth I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 24, 2008 2:58 am

helen damnation wrote:
GhostRed wrote:

I blame them for giving me the urge at 39 to go out wearing next to nothing and scarily high heels, You get compensation in life sometimes! Evil or Very Mad

Haha, you should thank them for that! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
semyaza
Master
Master

Number of posts : 45

Eclectic goth Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eclectic goth   Eclectic goth I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 24, 2008 5:09 am

EvilHippyEmperor wrote:
semyaza wrote:
I don't like being pinned down though...
That's not what we heard!
Laughing

HAHAHAHA!

Thank you for that laugh! I have missed your wit very much.
Back to top Go down
Akasha'sMistake
Witch
Witch
Akasha'sMistake

Number of posts : 265

Eclectic goth Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eclectic goth   Eclectic goth I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 24, 2008 5:25 am

GhostRed wrote:

God, I think we were separated at birth or something sometimes. I'm not so much into old school Goth as far as my appearance... but the music, the atmosphere, the "Look at MEEEEeee!" attitude...and the EXCESS I can definitely relate to! What a Face
Back to top Go down
GhostRed
Master
Master
GhostRed

Eclectic goth Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eclectic goth   Eclectic goth I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 24, 2008 5:54 am

Haha, you know, I've often thought, though its so darn cliche, that you remind me so much of myself when I was your age.
You know, that makes me sound old and you sound young, so maybe I should just go with: we were separated a birth!

I've always agreed with what Oscar Wilde said, "Nothing succeeds like excess." Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Akasha'sMistake
Witch
Witch
Akasha'sMistake

Eclectic goth Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eclectic goth   Eclectic goth I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 24, 2008 8:53 am

GhostRed wrote:
Haha, you know, I've often thought, though its so darn cliche, that you remind me so much of myself when I was your age.
You know, that makes me sound old and you sound young, so maybe I should just go with: we were separated a birth!

I've always agreed with what Oscar Wilde said, "Nothing succeeds like excess." Very Happy

Okay, yep...it's official. You're quoting Mr.Wilde now.

We are officially related somehow.
Back to top Go down
GhostRed
Master
Master
GhostRed

Eclectic goth Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eclectic goth   Eclectic goth I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 24, 2008 4:06 pm

Haha, perhaps I am a long-lost child of your mother's. My southern baptist, conservative Bush-loving parents seem to think I'm not related to them anyway! lol!
Back to top Go down
helen damnation
Mod
Mod
helen damnation

Eclectic goth Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eclectic goth   Eclectic goth I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 25, 2008 11:11 pm

EvilHippyEmperor wrote:
helen damnation wrote:

I blame them for giving me the urge at 39 to go out wearing next to nothing and scarily high heels
Wink

I have the infamous vampire lesbian pvc kiss photograph but my best friend is clinging onto it for dear life! Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
EvilHippyEmperor
Mod
Mod
EvilHippyEmperor

Eclectic goth Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eclectic goth   Eclectic goth I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 25, 2008 11:33 pm

helen damnation wrote:
EvilHippyEmperor wrote:
helen damnation wrote:

Wink

I have the infamous vampire lesbian pvc kiss photograph but my best friend is clinging onto it for dear life! Twisted Evil
Curses, foiled again!
Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
helen damnation
Mod
Mod
helen damnation

Eclectic goth Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eclectic goth   Eclectic goth I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 25, 2008 11:44 pm

You really dont want to see! It involved girl tongues! I dont know why we always get called upon to re-enact the moment!
Back to top Go down
eyvind
Master
Master

Number of posts : 130

Eclectic goth Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eclectic goth   Eclectic goth I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 29, 2008 9:35 am

I think 'Eclectic' is a good way to keep yourself open to all aspects of goth. an open mind is soo important.
I like to try and stay as dark as possible, so if you focus on the words- "death" and "funeral" that pretty much covers the basics.
Back to top Go down
Maxmordon
Witch
Witch
Maxmordon

Number of posts : 283
Registration date : 2008-07-28

Eclectic goth Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eclectic goth   Eclectic goth I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 29, 2008 10:56 am

If you looked at me on the streets you couldn't say that I am a goth or even interested at it, you would think I look like such a nice decent boy, albeit a bit nerdy (specially with a Batman shirt) the most goth clothing item I have would be between my black and red stripped polo shirt or a plain completely black shirt

At the same time, people who know me say this is the creepiest part of me. I look completely normal, but inside my mind... that's grain from a diferent sack...
Back to top Go down
darkwave_71
Master
Master
darkwave_71

Number of posts : 89
Registration date : 2008-07-24

Eclectic goth Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eclectic goth   Eclectic goth I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 31, 2008 12:38 am

Eclectic goth Pyzamemohoop

Just an unrelated observation. We now return you back to this thread......
Back to top Go down
Akasha'sMistake
Witch
Witch
Akasha'sMistake

Eclectic goth Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eclectic goth   Eclectic goth I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 31, 2008 7:55 am

^ lol!

The look on his face makes it that [------] much funnier....
Back to top Go down
Kasmira
Mod
Mod
Kasmira

Number of posts : 324

Eclectic goth Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eclectic goth   Eclectic goth I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 31, 2008 4:44 pm

I am unique just like everyone else!

No really What kind of goth am i? I really find it kind of offensive if you wanna get down to it. Like I can only be one kind of goth. Like if i pick old school but go out with cyber falls the Goth Police are gonna stomp me to death with there big boots of Goth Justice... Really.

BUT seeing how everyone is doing it and I'm SUCH a follower lol....

I'm gonna squeeze into Helens lap and declare myself once again Gounk I think is what kat and i named it long ago. I'm simply not into the more refined classy fancy Victorian goth. I'm more a rough and tumble bar fighting (cuz i'm a bit of a smart ass loud mouth) kind of goth. I also have what some could call an unhealthy addiction to rockabilly/psychobilly everything. At the same time I have picked up a love for kookie silly strange things and music. So in my ipod next to my clash and Citizen Fish there is Rilo Kiley and Ludo. SO I am a strange and twisted form of goth. But i like it.
Back to top Go down
Taraiha
Witch
Witch
Taraiha

Number of posts : 332

Eclectic goth Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eclectic goth   Eclectic goth I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 31, 2008 7:23 pm

Pirate Goth with just a smidge of Geek.
Back to top Go down
http://rhomany.org.uk
Sponsored content

Eclectic goth Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eclectic goth   Eclectic goth I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Eclectic goth
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next