GothicRefuge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gothic refuge a place for goths.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Social bookmarking
Social bookmarking reddit      

Bookmark and share the address of GothicRefuge on your social bookmarking website

Bookmark and share the address of GothicRefuge on your social bookmarking website

The Dark Side of our World

Go down 
+6
Taraiha
EvilHippyEmperor
Gomez
Nika
Ginger_Snaps
Maxmordon
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Maxmordon
Witch
Witch
Maxmordon

Number of posts : 283
Registration date : 2008-07-28

The Dark Side of our World Empty
PostSubject: The Dark Side of our World   The Dark Side of our World I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 06, 2008 8:00 pm

Telling amazing, odd and attracting subjects not usually known by the general populace

From my dear homeland I bring you Dr. Knoche

The Dark Side of our World Gottfried_Knoche

This German doctor from Friburg arrived to Venezuela on the mid XIX Century along with his wife, founding a hospital for poor people... but he is best remembered because he created a embalming liquid whose material haven't discovered yet that didn't required organs extraction and also mummified (along others) his wife and children and later taught a child nurse to embalm himself. He tried his juice on Tomás Lander, Venezuelan politican, whose body was left in a chair on the porch of his house resting with his favorite dog (also embalming) for over 40 years without showing any signs of descomposition

Today, his mysterious manor (Bella Vista) on the mountains lays in ruins, his knowledge lost and his laboratory distroyed... but the legend of Dr. Knoche (called Canoche by the locals) lives...

Pictures from the ruins of Bella Vista

http://doctor-knoche.blogspot.com/
Back to top Go down
Ginger_Snaps
Master
Master
Ginger_Snaps

Number of posts : 184
Registration date : 2008-07-23

PostSubject: Re: The Dark Side of our World   The Dark Side of our World I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 07, 2008 10:06 am

From my home state of Tennessee, I give you The Bell Witch. I am now reading what is called The Red Book.
Back to top Go down
Maxmordon
Witch
Witch
Maxmordon

PostSubject: Re: The Dark Side of our World   The Dark Side of our World I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 19, 2008 4:21 pm

The Sedlec Ossuary (Czech: kostnice Sedlec) is a small Roman Catholic chapel, located beneath the Cemetery Church of All Saints (Czech: Hřbitovní kostel Všech Svatých) in Sedlec, a suburb of Kutná Hora in the Czech Republic. The ossuary contains approximately 40,000-70,000 human skeletons which have been artistically arranged to form decorations and furnishings for the chapel.

The Dark Side of our World Sedlec_Ossuary_Entrance

The Dark Side of our World Sedlec-Ossuary

The Dark Side of our World Ossuaire_2

The Dark Side of our World SedlecTrumpet
Back to top Go down
Nika
Master
Master
Nika

Number of posts : 103

PostSubject: Re: The Dark Side of our World   The Dark Side of our World I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 19, 2008 8:04 pm

Maxmordon wrote:
The Sedlec Ossuary (Czech: kostnice Sedlec) is a small Roman Catholic chapel, located beneath the Cemetery Church of All Saints (Czech: Hřbitovní kostel Všech Svatých) in Sedlec, a suburb of Kutná Hora in the Czech Republic. The ossuary contains approximately 40,000-70,000 human skeletons which have been artistically arranged to form decorations and furnishings for the chapel.

I've looed at tons of photos of that place for the past few years. I'd loooooove to visit it if I ever got over to Europe.
Back to top Go down
Gomez
Witch
Witch
Gomez

Number of posts : 439

PostSubject: Re: The Dark Side of our World   The Dark Side of our World I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 20, 2008 8:10 am

I love how they used the scapulae in the crown. I've never seen that close up.
Back to top Go down
http://www.collectorteapots.com
EvilHippyEmperor
Mod
Mod
EvilHippyEmperor

Number of posts : 764
Registration date : 2008-07-22

PostSubject: Re: The Dark Side of our World   The Dark Side of our World I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 20, 2008 3:07 pm

Do they have any idea whose bones were used in the construction?

It would be a fine thing to know that your relatives (or yourself in the future) would be contributing to such an incredible memorial.
Back to top Go down
Taraiha
Witch
Witch
Taraiha

Number of posts : 332

PostSubject: Re: The Dark Side of our World   The Dark Side of our World I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 20, 2008 4:55 pm

Ooh! I saw a documentary ont his the other night. It was something to do with the abbott supposedly sprinkling earth from golgotha there that made it popular. Enter stage right the Black Death and the Hussite wars and there were too many people. They built a church int he middle of the cemetary to use as a mass grave and they started stacking the bodies up in it. In the late 1800s they employed a local carpenter called Rint to sort the bones into some sort of order and that was the result.
I really want to go see it one day too.
Back to top Go down
http://rhomany.org.uk
KittyKat
Master
Master
KittyKat

Number of posts : 241
Registration date : 2008-08-10

PostSubject: Re: The Dark Side of our World   The Dark Side of our World I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 20, 2008 9:29 pm

Rabbit and I have had plans to visit it someday. It's on our list of "Have to see before we die!" If we're not married by then we plan to get married there, if we are married by then we want to renew our vows there.
Back to top Go down
Akasha'sMistake
Witch
Witch
Akasha'sMistake

Number of posts : 265

PostSubject: Re: The Dark Side of our World   The Dark Side of our World I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 22, 2008 9:06 pm

EvilHippyEmperor wrote:

It would be a fine thing to know that your relatives (or yourself in the future) would be contributing to such an incredible memorial.

I do think the bones are actually from people who died of the Black Plague... not sure though.
Back to top Go down
EvilHippyEmperor
Mod
Mod
EvilHippyEmperor

Number of posts : 764

PostSubject: Re: The Dark Side of our World   The Dark Side of our World I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 23, 2008 1:46 am

Akasha'sMistake wrote:
EvilHippyEmperor wrote:

I do think the bones are actually from people who died of the Black Plague... not sure though.
You speak of a group, I was thinking of people.
Back to top Go down
Akasha'sMistake
Witch
Witch
Akasha'sMistake

Number of posts : 265

PostSubject: Re: The Dark Side of our World   The Dark Side of our World I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 23, 2008 2:12 am

^Ah, my mistake EHE.

I kind of wonder too.. if there is anyone's remains in that that made the history books? Probably not... they would have had a proper burial... I doubt they are still adding to it, but if they are; boy, what a way to go! Razz
Back to top Go down
Revenant
Master
Master
Revenant

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2008-08-06

PostSubject: Re: The Dark Side of our World   The Dark Side of our World I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 23, 2008 4:49 pm

That place is both amazing and a little sickening. It's a beautiful thing, how they've made such art out of those bones, but at the same time, I'm thinking, "who are these people, and would they want their remains displayed this way?" Y'know, respect for the dead, and all that. I guess I'm looking at it from a modern perspective, we have laws against doing such things to human remains. Still, if I had the chance to visit, I would.
Back to top Go down
KittyKat
Master
Master
KittyKat

Number of posts : 241
Registration date : 2008-08-10

PostSubject: Re: The Dark Side of our World   The Dark Side of our World I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 24, 2008 3:31 am

So on the note of dark random stuff....
When I was a kid I had a neighbor that was a really well known veterinarian. I heard about a year ago that he wrote an article for the newspaper on how to keep your pets safe during a car accident. About 2 months later he was in a car accident that caught his car on fire and killed both him and his dog. Sadly ironic...
Back to top Go down
Arkhum
Master
Master
Arkhum

Number of posts : 102
Registration date : 2008-07-24

PostSubject: Re: The Dark Side of our World   The Dark Side of our World I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 26, 2008 6:24 pm

Tales from Texas

BLACKOFDAY
Back to top Go down
Maxmordon
Witch
Witch
Maxmordon

PostSubject: Re: The Dark Side of our World   The Dark Side of our World I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 04, 2008 6:14 pm

Arkhum wrote:
Tales from Texas

BLACKOFDAY

Interesting, my city has some similar legends about tunnels; since the city grew during a 28 years military dictatorship there are rumours about tunnels through the goverment buildings and military based filled with corpses of political dissidents
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Dark Side of our World   The Dark Side of our World I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Dark Side of our World
Page 1 of 1