GothicRefuge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gothic refuge a place for goths.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Social bookmarking
Social bookmarking reddit      

Bookmark and share the address of GothicRefuge on your social bookmarking website

Bookmark and share the address of GothicRefuge on your social bookmarking website

Why I like our diverse members.

Go down 
+8
Ginger_Snaps
Arkhum
Gomez
helen damnation
Akasha'sMistake
darkwave_71
Maxmordon
EvilHippyEmperor
12 posters
AuthorMessage
EvilHippyEmperor
Mod
Mod
EvilHippyEmperor

Number of posts : 764
Registration date : 2008-07-22

Why I like our diverse members. Empty
PostSubject: Why I like our diverse members.   Why I like our diverse members. I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 09, 2008 7:35 pm

I'd just like to say how much I appreciate all our members, of all creeds and religions. Despite the vast differences in beliefs, everyone here always manages to retain their manners and respect for each other in our discussions.

I was reminded of what a rarity that is on a recent visit to another (non-goth) forum where, despite the members being generlly intelligent and well mannered, within a couple of pages the discussion had sunk to the level of:
Quote :
"Also, I'm fed-up with the whole "my DNA made me do it" crap that atheist biologists spew out... Ain't no damn wonder that people don't want to take any fucking responsibility for anything they do or any shit they fuck up anymore."
and
Quote :
"Well, she brought up the Evolution monkey-bullshit first..."

(and I hasten to point out, that those making the argument for evolution were little better, if at all.)
Back to top Go down
Maxmordon
Witch
Witch
Maxmordon

Number of posts : 283
Registration date : 2008-07-28

PostSubject: Re: Why I like our diverse members.   Why I like our diverse members. I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 09, 2008 7:39 pm

I have also seen awful examples like that; even a website where some atheists just made threads to provoke the believers and then mock them... the other side wasn't much better though... everyone of any orientation can be a complete and insulting fanatic in my opinion, and that is the worst that there is, fanatism in any of their examples
Back to top Go down
EvilHippyEmperor
Mod
Mod
EvilHippyEmperor

PostSubject: Re: Why I like our diverse members.   Why I like our diverse members. I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 11, 2008 1:28 am

I suppose this is the flipside of my belief that virtue and religion are unrelated: Every faith has it's a**holes!

There is a peculiar sort of awkwardness that comes when you realise that you agree with what someone is saying, but loathe the way they have chosen to espouse their opinion!
Back to top Go down
Maxmordon
Witch
Witch
Maxmordon

Number of posts : 283
Registration date : 2008-07-28

PostSubject: Re: Why I like our diverse members.   Why I like our diverse members. I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 11, 2008 2:17 am

EvilHippyEmperor wrote:

There is a peculiar sort of awkwardness that comes when you realise that you agree with what someone is saying, but loathe the way they have chosen to espouse their opinion!

Indeed. Many atheists have good points (as many religious people) but when they reduced it to "I R RITH U R RONG" it's just... childish... a bunch of voices shrieking in the eternal darkness of this cave we call life... to be honest, I used to keep the Atheist on a higher level as some sort of necesary equilibrium in society... then I read about Dawkins and these lunatics speaking of Atheist pride and such... well, I learned that pretty much every group has a**holes and become hammering fanaticals who can lead to death and destruction of our world just then the squids/roaches/monkeys can rule the Earth...

Sorry if I sound half-demented deppresed dim but I am feeling really bad now...

For some reason this reminds this old cartoon called Peace On Earth. Quite a good (and a bit harsh) message

Back to top Go down
darkwave_71
Master
Master
darkwave_71

Number of posts : 89
Registration date : 2008-07-24

PostSubject: Re: Why I like our diverse members.   Why I like our diverse members. I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 11, 2008 5:42 pm

From my perspective, a lot of the conflict seems to arise from the rush of a given believer to be a "defender of the faith".

I was raised Catholic and while the Church & I have opted to stay on opposite poles on a lot of things, and I readily concede to non-Catholics some of our little "quirks", try as I might I occasionally get a little "ping!" in the soul when someone mercilessly zeroes in on some aspect I hadn't really thought was really that important to me.

Just the same I'm not going to fight over it. If decades of European religious warfare didn't settle it I highly doubt the other person & I are gonna settle it here, lol. Some people just love to provoke and do it to push your buttons, and nothing you say will make them see your view. So best to leave it.

By comparison, there are some that are so devoted to their faith that their first reaction to even a legitimate questioning of that faith is to grab their metaphorical sword (tho in some parts of the world, the sword is real) and start slashing away in righteous retaliation.

I guess one shouldn't expect the questioned to simply reply "Hey now, I didn't expect the Spanish Inquisition here!..." and leave it at that

Why I like our diverse members. Spanishinquisition2
Back to top Go down
Akasha'sMistake
Witch
Witch
Akasha'sMistake

Number of posts : 265

PostSubject: Re: Why I like our diverse members.   Why I like our diverse members. I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 11, 2008 10:08 pm

^Hee hee...

*giggles at the Monty Python reference*
cheers
Back to top Go down
helen damnation
Mod
Mod
helen damnation

Number of posts : 168

PostSubject: Re: Why I like our diverse members.   Why I like our diverse members. I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 11, 2008 11:16 pm

I like our diverse members too and our manners are absolutely impeccable Smile
Back to top Go down
Gomez
Witch
Witch
Gomez

Number of posts : 439
Registration date : 2008-07-23

PostSubject: Re: Why I like our diverse members.   Why I like our diverse members. I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 12, 2008 8:08 am

darkwave_71 wrote:
By comparison, there are some that are so devoted to their faith that their first reaction to even a legitimate questioning of that faith is to grab their metaphorical sword (tho in some parts of the world, the sword is real) and start slashing away in righteous retaliation.

Too true. Like so many other cases of people getting things wrong, the right way is so easy, but nobody does it.
"Speak the Truth with love."

You've got the one camp that speaks the truth by cramming it down everyone's throats.
You've got the other camp that refuses to share their convictions because it might offend someone.
I've got no patience with either.
Then you've got the lot here! cheers

EHE: I was about to start a thread like this, and you beat me to it!
I think it's an amazing phenomenon that we have constant, ongoing, civil dialog between Satanists, Catholics, Wiccans, Atheists, and whatever else we've got going on. People don't listen to you if you're beating them up. It isn't rocket science, but lots of folks can't figure it out.
Back to top Go down
http://www.collectorteapots.com
Arkhum
Master
Master
Arkhum

Number of posts : 102

PostSubject: Re: Why I like our diverse members.   Why I like our diverse members. I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 18, 2008 12:34 am

helen damnation wrote:
I like our diverse members too and our manners are absolutely impeccable Smile

I don't mean this to be off-colored in any way but I was wondering if any of you might think that GWEs' site could get an honorable mention in one of GBs' issues? Just an idea. Perhaps Endless' as well just for the sake of friendly comraderie.
Back to top Go down
EvilHippyEmperor
Mod
Mod
EvilHippyEmperor

PostSubject: Re: Why I like our diverse members.   Why I like our diverse members. I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 18, 2008 1:01 am

It's a nice idea, but I really can't see the GB staff bothering to do so after the way they just dumped the boards like they did.
Back to top Go down
Arkhum
Master
Master
Arkhum

Number of posts : 102

PostSubject: Re: Why I like our diverse members.   Why I like our diverse members. I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 18, 2008 3:28 am

It's a shame. A prominent mag like that should want to offer even a small spot to goth places of the internet.
Back to top Go down
helen damnation
Mod
Mod
helen damnation

Number of posts : 168

PostSubject: Re: Why I like our diverse members.   Why I like our diverse members. I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 21, 2008 11:34 pm

When I think like a rational human bean which admittedly is only a tiny percentage of the time I can honestly understand why they could not afford to keep the forums going but I cannot understand why they didn't give any of the members the option of buying the space.

When I'm my normal self, I just get fucking angry at the fact that they kept everybody in the dark and then closed ahead of time. Anyhoo I think that if they suddenly started the forums again I really wouldn't bother. We have all shown that we are much more than usernames on a messageboard.

*random thought to self* Where is the bloody hug emoticon on here or has it not been added in fear that moi would overuse it?
Back to top Go down
EvilHippyEmperor
Mod
Mod
EvilHippyEmperor

PostSubject: Re: Why I like our diverse members.   Why I like our diverse members. I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 22, 2008 12:52 am

You'll have to ask the GWE for a hug emoticon. I didn't forbid it (although I would have, had I thought to do so Twisted Evil )

I think a lot of us are pissed off at GB not so much for shutting down the boards, but rather the manner in which they chose to do so. Were they to restart the GB boards I doubt that I would bother rejoining.

As you say, though, I think the community has proved more enduring than they expected.
Back to top Go down
Ginger_Snaps
Master
Master
Ginger_Snaps

Number of posts : 184
Registration date : 2008-07-23

PostSubject: Re: Why I like our diverse members.   Why I like our diverse members. I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 29, 2008 7:47 am

I asked myself if GB were to open again, if I would go back; my answer is that I highly doubt it.
Back to top Go down
Kasmira
Mod
Mod
Kasmira

Number of posts : 324

PostSubject: Re: Why I like our diverse members.   Why I like our diverse members. I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 29, 2008 3:38 pm

helen damnation wrote:
we are much more than usernames on a messageboard.

I'm not! Laughing
Back to top Go down
EvilHippyEmperor
Mod
Mod
EvilHippyEmperor

PostSubject: Re: Why I like our diverse members.   Why I like our diverse members. I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 29, 2008 3:45 pm

Kasmira wrote:
helen damnation wrote:
we are much more than usernames on a messageboard.

I'm not! Laughing
You're not still upset at failing the Turing test, are you?
Back to top Go down
Kasmira
Mod
Mod
Kasmira

Number of posts : 324

PostSubject: Re: Why I like our diverse members.   Why I like our diverse members. I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 29, 2008 3:52 pm

EvilHippyEmperor wrote:

You're not still upset at failing the Turing test, are you?
no No

but next time you give me that damn test at least give me spell check............... i never even had a chance!
Back to top Go down
Velvet Spider
Master
Master
Velvet Spider

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2008-12-18

PostSubject: Re: Why I like our diverse members.   Why I like our diverse members. I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 14, 2009 9:48 am

Gomez wrote:

EHE: I was about to start a thread like this, and you beat me to it!
I think it's an amazing phenomenon that we have constant, ongoing, civil dialog between Satanists, Catholics, Wiccans, Atheists, and whatever else we've got going on. People don't listen to you if you're beating them up. It isn't rocket science, but lots of folks can't figure it out.

I have read that you are Catholic, so am I.

By chance, do you make sugar skulls...?

I make one each year for All Soul's and All Saint's Day.

I take it to our church and place it on the shrine of the Blessed Virgin Mary in the courtyard along with selected prayer cards.

I leave it there with the beautiful flower bouquets and burning candles that other people have brought to share.

Last edited by Velvet Spider on Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:05 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.wix.com/velvet_spider/Arsenic-and-Black-Lace
blackorchid
Master
Master
blackorchid

Number of posts : 130

PostSubject: Re: Why I like our diverse members.   Why I like our diverse members. I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 14, 2009 10:05 pm

I have never heard of that before Velvet Spider. Does the sugar skull have any special meaning???
Back to top Go down
Velvet Spider
Master
Master
Velvet Spider

PostSubject: Re: Why I like our diverse members.   Why I like our diverse members. I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 15, 2009 12:04 am

blackorchid wrote:
I have never heard of that before Velvet Spider. Does the sugar skull have any special meaning???

For many Catholics they do.
Sugar skulls are traditional folk art from Southern Mexico used to celebrate Dia de los Muertos, the Day of the Dead.
They also acquaint themselves with All Soul's and All Saint's Day.
My favorite website about them is:
Sugar Skulls
Back to top Go down
EvilHippyEmperor
Mod
Mod
EvilHippyEmperor

PostSubject: Re: Why I like our diverse members.   Why I like our diverse members. I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 15, 2009 2:14 pm

How cool is that!

I will have to make some of those for my birthday!
Back to top Go down
Taraiha
Witch
Witch
Taraiha

Number of posts : 332

PostSubject: Re: Why I like our diverse members.   Why I like our diverse members. I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 15, 2009 3:26 pm

NO. Nononononononononononononono. No.

CHOCOALTE skulls. That's what you need.
Back to top Go down
http://rhomany.org.uk
blackorchid
Master
Master
blackorchid

Number of posts : 130

PostSubject: Re: Why I like our diverse members.   Why I like our diverse members. I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 15, 2009 4:54 pm

Oh how wonderful!!!

I definitely have to try making those... Yee hah!!
Back to top Go down
Velvet Spider
Master
Master
Velvet Spider

PostSubject: Re: Why I like our diverse members.   Why I like our diverse members. I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 15, 2009 10:05 pm

The mold I use makes a 16" diameter skull.

Each sugar skull takes me about 4 days to complete as the sugar needs to set, dry, etc. before moving on to the next step. Skull

The most tricky ingredient for me to locate was the Meringue Powder.

We live near a large city and I was only able to find it sold in one shop there, a specialty store offering cake and candy making materials.

You might possibly live in an area where it can be found more easily though.

Also, sugar skull recipes can fail miserably if weather conditions are wet, damp or even misty (which certainly means no rainy days) which we get quite a bit of here.

** The only shop I could find a skull mold the size I have was at a candle making shop. You might be able to get one more easily though.

Last edited by Velvet Spider on Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:39 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Velvet Spider
Master
Master
Velvet Spider

PostSubject: Re: Why I like our diverse members.   Why I like our diverse members. I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 15, 2009 10:43 pm

As a point of interest, last year I was offered the opportunity to make and sell sugar skulls as a cottage industry for a New Orlean's-styled shop specializing in religious items, each skull priced at $100-$125.00 each.

To be honest, I declined.

I create each one specifically in celebration of holy days and my own loved ones who have passed over.

There's certainly nothing wrong in selling sugar skulls, it's simply that my heart wouldn't be in it.

If any of you should decide to make any of these I'd love hearing from you and how they turned out...!

Skull Skull Happy Dance Skull Skull
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Why I like our diverse members.   Why I like our diverse members. I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Why I like our diverse members.
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
GothicRefuge :: Stuff and nonsense :: Religion-
Jump to: