GothicRefuge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gothic refuge a place for goths.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Social bookmarking
Social bookmarking reddit      

Bookmark and share the address of GothicRefuge on your social bookmarking website

Bookmark and share the address of GothicRefuge on your social bookmarking website

What does Jolene have that Dolly lacks?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
EvilHippyEmperor
Mod
Mod
EvilHippyEmperor

Number of posts : 764
Registration date : 2008-07-22

What does Jolene have that Dolly lacks? Empty
PostSubject: What does Jolene have that Dolly lacks?   What does Jolene have that Dolly lacks? I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 08, 2008 2:43 pm

We were in the club the other night when the DJ decided to play Queen Adreena's cover version of "Jolene". This led to a happy floor full of stompy goths, myself included, but it did set me wondering.

There is not, it must be said, a huge crossover between Goth and Country and Western, but there have been a few noteworthy goth covers of this one song, so why is it so popular with goths?
Is it the plaintive and hopeless nature of the lyrics, or merely the rhythmic repetition of the chorus?

What do you think?
Back to top Go down
PorcelainPirate
Witch
Witch
PorcelainPirate

Number of posts : 265
Registration date : 2008-07-23

PostSubject: Re: What does Jolene have that Dolly lacks?   What does Jolene have that Dolly lacks? I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 08, 2008 2:52 pm

Wow, that's the most out-of-the-box post I've read in awhile.

I've actually always quite liked this song, it does have a certain mournful quality to it, and I'm a sucker for mournful music with a good rhythm. I suspect many goths share my view.
But then, some songs just translate well to being covered, usually the well-written ones. The Cure are a good example - their songs are so very well-written that more often than not, even the covers are excellent, and maintain the feel of the original song, no matter how different the cover sounds.

Oh, and apologies for not making it out on Friday. I had an adventure with a quadbike a few days prior, which resulted in me crashing into a bush and hurting my ankle to save a suicidal pheasant. No dancing for Porcelain for awhile Sad
Back to top Go down
Kasmira
Mod
Mod
Kasmira

Number of posts : 324

PostSubject: Re: What does Jolene have that Dolly lacks?   What does Jolene have that Dolly lacks? I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 09, 2008 5:18 am

For anyone who doesn't know the song
Queen Adreena - Jolene

Jolene - Dolly Parton

Lyrics..

Jolene, jolene, jolene, jolene
Im begging of you please dont take my man
Please dont take him just because you can
Your beauty is beyond compare
With flaming locks of auburn hair
With ivory skin and eyes of emerald green
Your smile is like a breath of spring
Your voice is soft like summer rain
And I cannot compete with you, jolene

He talks about you in his sleep
Theres nothing I can do to keep
From crying when he calls your name, jolene

And I can easily understand
How you could easily take my man
But you dont know what he means to me, jolene

Please dont take him just because you can

You could have your choice of men
But I could never love again
Hes the only one for me, jolene

I had to have this talk with you
My happiness depends on you
And whatever you decide to do, jolene

Please dont take him even though you can
Jolene, jolene

Now that the history lesson is over lol. Even the origional in all it's country glorie is mornefull. The lines..

Your beauty is beyond compare
With flaming locks of auburn hair
With ivory skin and eyes of emerald green

describe the ideal looks of many gothic women. It isn't to far flung to imagine a couple at a goth club. In slinks auburn haired pale skinned and green eyed Jolene. And with her looks alone causes many of the women to grab a bit tighter to there Mr. for fear that they will be pulled away. Then to add that he is calling the cows name in the middle of the night... well that would just make it all the more emo-tastic.

The feel of the lyrics are sad and a bit dark.

I'm a sucker for old school country music in general. Comes from growing up with it i guess. Queen Adreena cover is pretty damn good though.

I think i would have taken a baseball bat to her face rather then beg her for anything though. But then that might just be me.
Back to top Go down
EvilHippyEmperor
Mod
Mod
EvilHippyEmperor

Number of posts : 764

PostSubject: Re: What does Jolene have that Dolly lacks?   What does Jolene have that Dolly lacks? I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 09, 2008 2:44 pm

Kasmira wrote:
It isn't to far flung to imagine a couple at a goth club. In slinks auburn haired pale skinned and green eyed Jolene. And with her looks alone causes many of the women to grab a bit tighter to there Mr. for fear that they will be pulled away.
Oh Kas, why couldn't they have got you to direct the video? In just a couple of lines you set such a superb scene.

One can just picture the exchanges of looks, the subtle defensive positioning, the quiet desperation of our heroine with a man just that bit out of her league...
Kasmira wrote:

I think i would have taken a baseball bat to her face rather then beg her for anything though.
OK, we may have to change the ending slightly though. Whilst the baseball bat is so very you, it is perhaps lacking in poignancy.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What does Jolene have that Dolly lacks?   What does Jolene have that Dolly lacks? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What does Jolene have that Dolly lacks?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
GothicRefuge :: Movies, media and music :: Music-
Jump to: