GothicRefuge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gothic refuge a place for goths.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Social bookmarking
Social bookmarking reddit      

Bookmark and share the address of GothicRefuge on your social bookmarking website

Bookmark and share the address of GothicRefuge on your social bookmarking website

Barack Obama's world tour

Go down 
+7
Gomez
Maxmordon
PorcelainPirate
GWE
Morella
Ginger_Snaps
EvilHippyEmperor
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
EvilHippyEmperor
Mod
Mod
EvilHippyEmperor

Number of posts : 764
Registration date : 2008-07-22

Barack Obama's world tour Empty
PostSubject: Barack Obama's world tour   Barack Obama's world tour I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 28, 2008 1:23 am

I was just wondering what our American members felt about Barack Obama's tour of Europe. Whilst he is certainly popular over here (I confess I like the man myself), I can't help feeling that he is either campaigning in the wrong continent, or has forgotten that he isn't actually president yet.
Back to top Go down
Ginger_Snaps
Master
Master
Ginger_Snaps

Number of posts : 184
Registration date : 2008-07-23

PostSubject: Re: Barack Obama's world tour   Barack Obama's world tour I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 28, 2008 2:17 am

I think it is just an effort on his part to make it look like he "cares" about other countries.
Back to top Go down
Morella
Master
Master

Number of posts : 51

PostSubject: Re: Barack Obama's world tour   Barack Obama's world tour I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 28, 2008 3:30 am

The same people that hammer at his supposed lack of foreign policy know-how seem to be the same ones who criticize his international efforts. So maybe it wasn't a hugely thorough fact-finding trip, but I think it is important because it sets a tone for how he is going to interact with other world leaders if he is elected. Since he does seem to be rather popular, the outlook appears positive.
Back to top Go down
EvilHippyEmperor
Mod
Mod
EvilHippyEmperor

PostSubject: Re: Barack Obama's world tour   Barack Obama's world tour I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 28, 2008 11:24 am

Morella wrote:
Since he does seem to be rather popular
That's the odd thing. He does seem to be very popular, yet he seemed to have an inordinate amount of difficulty in getting selected over Hilary Clinton.

I'm still trying to work out if that is a good or a bad thing for John McCain. He strolled into his candidacy largely unopposed, but as a result of that, he seems to have had far less media attention than Obama, who struggled every inch of the way.
Back to top Go down
GWE
Master
Master
GWE

Number of posts : 74

PostSubject: Re: Barack Obama's world tour   Barack Obama's world tour I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 29, 2008 12:12 am

Well, I'd vote for him. I think he's nice Heart

Love
GWE
XXX
Back to top Go down
http://www.GothicBrides.co.uk
Ginger_Snaps
Master
Master
Ginger_Snaps

PostSubject: Re: Barack Obama's world tour   Barack Obama's world tour I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 29, 2008 3:24 am

I thought Hillary backed out. Honestly, I don't care for either candidate. Obama talks a lot about "change" but never does he specify in his speeches what he intends on changing and how he going to go about doing it. I do agree that he is a charming fellow, but he has only been in the senate for 2 years; I think he needs a few more years under his belt before I would consider him experienced enough for the presidency.
Back to top Go down
PorcelainPirate
Witch
Witch
PorcelainPirate

Number of posts : 265

PostSubject: Re: Barack Obama's world tour   Barack Obama's world tour I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 29, 2008 9:40 am

But 'experienced' can often mean 'indoctrinated'. Perhaps his lack of experience will make change more likely. We can only wait and see, I suppose.
Back to top Go down
Maxmordon
Witch
Witch
Maxmordon

Number of posts : 283
Registration date : 2008-07-28

PostSubject: Re: Barack Obama's world tour   Barack Obama's world tour I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 29, 2008 11:08 am

I was watching the other day a CNN International report about how biased is the media on favor of Obama, being the greatest example how little information has been said about McCain doing the same thing that Obama. Personally, this is a no win situation. You either choose the popular and inexperienced or the wise conservative
Back to top Go down
EvilHippyEmperor
Mod
Mod
EvilHippyEmperor

PostSubject: Re: Barack Obama's world tour   Barack Obama's world tour I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 29, 2008 11:38 am

Ginger_Snaps wrote:
I thought Hillary backed out. Honestly, I don't care for either candidate. Obama talks a lot about "change" but never does he specify in his speeches what he intends on changing and how he going to go about doing it.
That is what worries me about him. I enjoy fine rhetoric, and it has its place in the leadership of a nation, but we have heard little in the way of specific policy from Obama. I had wondered if America had heard more of that than us (since it isn't our election), but it seems not.
Back to top Go down
Gomez
Witch
Witch
Gomez

Number of posts : 439

PostSubject: Re: Barack Obama's world tour   Barack Obama's world tour I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 29, 2008 1:37 pm

What scares the hell out of me is the fear that he can win this race for the reason that he's...

"charming."

Well, if that doesn't qualify you to fight a war, I don't know what does.

Oh, and he's tall. I predicted long, long ago, before there was a Republican nominee or the war between him and Hilary started that he would win because he's the tallest contender. That prediction's doing well. The tall guy usually wins. True story. Check the record.

I still insist I don't like either of the candidates, but I dislike McCain slightly less.
Back to top Go down
http://www.collectorteapots.com
EvilHippyEmperor
Mod
Mod
EvilHippyEmperor

PostSubject: Re: Barack Obama's world tour   Barack Obama's world tour I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 29, 2008 1:43 pm

The joy of democracy: so often it comes down to the lesser of two evils!

(Though in Britain we often have a wider choice of crap candidates to choose from!)
Back to top Go down
Maxmordon
Witch
Witch
Maxmordon

Number of posts : 283
Registration date : 2008-07-28

PostSubject: Re: Barack Obama's world tour   Barack Obama's world tour I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 29, 2008 7:07 pm

EvilHippyEmperor wrote:
The joy of democracy: so often it comes down to the lesser of two evils!

(Though in Britain we often have a wider choice of crap candidates to choose from!)

There a candidate wins and everybody accepts it

Here a candidate wins and suddenly everyone is a member of his party
Back to top Go down
Morella
Master
Master

Number of posts : 51

PostSubject: Re: Barack Obama's world tour   Barack Obama's world tour I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 29, 2008 9:59 pm

Maxmordon wrote:
I was watching the other day a CNN International report about how biased is the media on favor of Obama, being the greatest example how little information has been said about McCain doing the same thing that Obama. Personally, this is a no win situation. You either choose the popular and inexperienced or the wise conservative

Judging as how the older, more experienced conservatives have wrecked havoc on America and the world for the past eight years, I'm sure one can understand how the former is appealing to many people.
Back to top Go down
helen damnation
Mod
Mod
helen damnation

Number of posts : 168

PostSubject: Re: Barack Obama's world tour   Barack Obama's world tour I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 29, 2008 11:26 pm

GWE wrote:
Well, I'd vote for him. I think he's nice Heart

Love
GWE
XXX

I think he's rather sweet too

I know nothing about politics but I am a fully paid up member of the Blah! party!
Back to top Go down
blackorchid
Master
Master
blackorchid

Number of posts : 130

PostSubject: Re: Barack Obama's world tour   Barack Obama's world tour I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 30, 2008 3:10 am

Like a lot of us here in the US, I think both the candidates are lacking. However, Obama makes me mysteriously nervous. I cant really say why, but there is something about him that is un-nerving. Maybe I like McCain better because he looks post mortem.... haha! affraid
Back to top Go down
EvilHippyEmperor
Mod
Mod
EvilHippyEmperor

PostSubject: Re: Barack Obama's world tour   Barack Obama's world tour I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 30, 2008 11:20 am

blackorchid wrote:
However, Obama makes me mysteriously nervous. I cant really say why, but there is something about him that is un-nerving.
Never trust a smiling politician.
Suspect
Back to top Go down
blackorchid
Master
Master
blackorchid

PostSubject: Re: Barack Obama's world tour   Barack Obama's world tour I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 30, 2008 3:28 pm

Wow, I was sitting here reading EHE's response and had a huge dose of deja vu. That is so incredibly weird when it happens.

And yes, never, ever trust a smiling politician. Or any politician for that fact... does McCain, even smile? I think he has gone stiff already. Obama just advanced thru the ranks way too fast. Suspicious I tell you.... (hear that James Bond music off in the background?) Who is this guy? Gomez was right, he IS TALL, and quite charasmatic....young, and no doubt, our next prez. I dont like it. scratch strange, I tell you, strange...
Back to top Go down
EvilHippyEmperor
Mod
Mod
EvilHippyEmperor

PostSubject: Re: Barack Obama's world tour   Barack Obama's world tour I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 30, 2008 3:34 pm

blackorchid wrote:

Obama just advanced thru the ranks way too fast.
blackorchid wrote:

...does McCain, even smile? I think he has gone stiff already...
The quick and the dead?
Laughing
Back to top Go down
blackorchid
Master
Master
blackorchid

PostSubject: Re: Barack Obama's world tour   Barack Obama's world tour I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 30, 2008 3:41 pm

Party That was funny... plus I just wanted an excuse to post the party again.... My favorite smily.
Back to top Go down
EvilHippyEmperor
Mod
Mod
EvilHippyEmperor

PostSubject: Re: Barack Obama's world tour   Barack Obama's world tour I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 30, 2008 4:23 pm

Well in that case:
Happy Dance
Back to top Go down
darkwave_71
Master
Master
darkwave_71

Number of posts : 89
Registration date : 2008-07-24

PostSubject: Re: Barack Obama's world tour   Barack Obama's world tour I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 31, 2008 12:09 am

EvilHippyEmperor wrote:

Though in Britain we often have a wider choice of crap candidates to choose from!
Barack Obama's world tour M_38a1cb0261134fd01c7e59c58eee2646
The only man for the UK! affraid

Meanwhile...
I used to like McCain 8 years ago when he was a progressive reformer.
Republican, sure, but he realized things needed to get done that were above politics, like reforming our campaign contribution system.
I could get behind a guy who thought along those lines! Had he made it to the Texan primaries I would've voted for him in spite of my being a Democrat.
Then something happened & now he's as politically conservative as they come, making allegiances with Bush Voldermort.

Obama seems like a nice guy. An inexperienced outsider who says whatever pretty things his speech writers come up with.
Gee, I seem to recall when Bush was the inexperienced outsider who charmed the masses with the charmingly dumb lunk personality...til people realized that, no, he IS that stupid.

Anyway, like its been written: he has little experience and he's not so detailed on what precisely he intends to change. Plus he was so adamant about Iraq til he actually went & saw the situation first hand. Now, who'd a guessed?, he's "changed course". Uh huh. So if he makes it to the White House will there be another "course correction"?

More importantly....WHO THE HECK IS DOING THEIR JOBS?!?

As far I know, they didn't resign from the Senate. So who's representing thier constituents? I'd be pretty peeved if my senator was out doing his own thing on my time! I'd rather he (or McCain) give up his office while they campaign.
Then again, I'd rather have other candidates to choose from.
Back to top Go down
EvilHippyEmperor
Mod
Mod
EvilHippyEmperor

PostSubject: Re: Barack Obama's world tour   Barack Obama's world tour I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 31, 2008 12:41 am

darkwave_71 wrote:
EvilHippyEmperor wrote:

Though in Britain we often have a wider choice of crap candidates to choose from!
Barack Obama's world tour M_38a1cb0261134fd01c7e59c58eee2646
The only man for the UK! affraid
Hey, I voted for Harriet Jones! (MP: Flydale North)
Barack Obama's world tour Wilton256
Back to top Go down
Ginger_Snaps
Master
Master
Ginger_Snaps

PostSubject: Re: Barack Obama's world tour   Barack Obama's world tour I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 31, 2008 5:00 am

Carlos Mencia did a pit on why he wouldn't vote for McCain; it wasn't because of his politics but because he was a pow in Vietnam, and sooner or later he will snap which would probably happen in the office (at best) or in a Congressional meeting.
Back to top Go down
semyaza
Master
Master

Number of posts : 45

PostSubject: Re: Barack Obama's world tour   Barack Obama's world tour I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 31, 2008 6:10 am

I supported Ron Paul in the primaries this year, even going so far as to change my registration from Libertarian to Republican so i could vote for him (now I'm back as a Libertarian). McCain and Obama scare me even more than George W. Bush, and I never thought that would be possible!

I'll vote a straight Libertarian ticket this year, but more than likely, I will give up voting after November. Ambrose Bierce once said that elections are an advance auction of stolen goods. Another saying is this: Don't vote. It only encourages them.

Withdrawing my consent to be governed is the likely route I will take.
Back to top Go down
EvilHippyEmperor
Mod
Mod
EvilHippyEmperor

PostSubject: Re: Barack Obama's world tour   Barack Obama's world tour I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 31, 2008 11:11 am

semyaza wrote:
I supported Ron Paul in the primaries this year, even going so far as to change my registration from Libertarian to Republican so i could vote for him (now I'm back as a Libertarian). McCain and Obama scare me even more than George W. Bush, and I never thought that would be possible!
Why is that? Over here we got to watch the Clinton/Obama circus, and McCain got a few mentions, but we do not hear much about their actual policies (if they have any!)
semyaza wrote:

I'll vote a straight Libertarian ticket this year, but more than likely, I will give up voting after November. Ambrose Bierce once said that elections are an advance auction of stolen goods. Another saying is this: Don't vote. It only encourages them.
Whoever you vote for, the politicians always get in.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Barack Obama's world tour   Barack Obama's world tour I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Barack Obama's world tour
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next