Gothic refuge a place for goths.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Social bookmarking
Social bookmarking digg  Social bookmarking delicious  Social bookmarking reddit  Social bookmarking stumbleupon  Social bookmarking slashdot  Social bookmarking yahoo  Social bookmarking google  Social bookmarking blogmarks  Social bookmarking live      

Bookmark and share the address of GothicRefuge on your social bookmarking website

Bookmark and share the address of GothicRefuge on your social bookmarking website

Share | 

80's for Africa

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Apocalypse
Master
Master

Number of posts : 86
Registration date : 2008-08-07

PostSubject: 80's for Africa   Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:53 am

During the 80's there were two notable all-star bands that did a fund raiser song for the famine of Ethiopia. Which one was your favorite (or more tolerant of) of these two?

If you haven't heard them before (is that possible?) here are the links to a free mp3 site.

Band Aid - "Do They Know it's Christmas Time"

USA for Africa - "We Are the World"
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.myspace.com/apocalypsenotquiteyet
EvilHippyEmperor
Mod
Mod

Number of posts : 764
Registration date : 2008-07-22

PostSubject: Re: 80's for Africa   Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:24 pm

It is the lesser of two evils, but I would prefer to be subjected to Band Aid, were I forced to choose.

Revenant
Master
Master

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2008-08-06

PostSubject: Re: 80's for Africa   Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:08 pm

Lesser of two evils, for sure, but the Band Aid one was better. The american one was too much of the 'perfect people'. Y'know, only the elite got to be on it. Basically, if you weren't a friend of Quincy Jones, you didn't get to be on it.

Heh, there was a Canadian one, too. Tears Are Not Enough, by Northern Lights. It was fun if not for trying to figure out who some of the performers were. Even as a Canadian, I couldn't identify a lot of the lineup. It was really the opposite of what I commented on about the American, it had a mix of the big names and lesser known of the time.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
darkwave_71
Master
Master

Number of posts : 89
Registration date : 2008-07-24

PostSubject: Re: 80's for Africa   Tue May 19, 2009 11:17 pm

At least they purported to help the starving Ethiopians (tho Do They Know its X-Mas? is a tolerable song compared to crime-against-humanity "We Are the World!!!!!!!").

Modern day Live 8 seemed to simply revel in the fact they were giving a free concert.
And plausibly handing out 'Free Tibet!' & 'Remember Darfur!' stickers.

I remember the Canadian effort.
I even remember the heavy metal effort Hear-n-aid Shocked
Actually I remember they did it but I think their song was mercifully played once & never again.

Anybody remember the Simpsons' parody of these songs "We're Sending Our Love Down a Well"?
Bart had thrown a walkie-talkie down a well & had the town convinced there was a lil kid stuck at the bottom of the well.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Taraiha
Witch
Witch

Number of posts : 332

PostSubject: Re: 80's for Africa   Wed May 20, 2009 2:44 am

I like 'Do They Know It's Christmas' but I do maintain it would have been just a smidge better if they'd had Siouxsie on it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rhomany.org.uk
EvilHippyEmperor
Mod
Mod

Number of posts : 764

PostSubject: Re: 80's for Africa   Wed May 20, 2009 11:22 am

What song wouldn't be better for the inclusion of a smidge of Siouxsie?

(Somewhat off topic: A cover version I wish had been done, but never was: Aqua covering Peek-a-boo)

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 80's for Africa   

Back to top Go down

80's for Africa
Page 1 of 1